Skip to main content

16th april

For our final reflection, we all wrote a paragraph each to summarise our general thoughts and experiences on the project. Why we chose this topic, how we worked as a team and the progress weve made over the past few weeks.

Bilqees:

As an Indo-Trinidadian young woman whose great-grandfather was an indentured labourer from Bihar, having arrived to work in Trinidad in 1873, this was the most illuminating project I've undertaken as it relates to Indo-Caribbean history. I think society is generally given a brief, reductive outline of what indentureship was in the context of the Caribbean. There is a disconnect between our idealized tropical modern-day reality and the harsh history that its backdrop. Little Indo-Trinidadian people know the socio-economic state of British India that even led to the indentureship programme (or, scheme) that brought hundreds of thousands of Indians to the Caribbean. In working on the excerpt from Espinet's "The Swinging Bridge", I was able to comprehensively understand the stages of the journey from India to the West Indies (and beyond) that so many of my forefathers took in the pursuit of a better life, of the romantic greener pastures that they were sure awaited them across the kala pani. By extension, I learnt a lot about myself and my place in the Caribbean through doing research for and engaging with the chosen texts, an invaluable experience that was made better by collaborating with the students from UCD. I found the collaboration to be quite engaging. Our group met all the deadlines with very few hiccups and communicated multiple times weekly to share research updates and gain feedback on the work done. The main difficulty we faced was managing the new digital tools which were often complicated, but with enough practice (and trial and error), we figured out how to use them. It was a pleasure working with the UCD girls. 

 Faye:

 I took this module orignally as I was interesed in expanding my knowledge on transoceanic cultures and taking something thats different to the rest of my modules. Having the opportunity to work alongside UWI in Trinidad was an amazing experience which helped me learn new things in a fun and interactive way. I found working in a team challenging at times, as I dont have the best IT skills, but working in a group where everyone invloved wants to help you along the way helped me gain new skills and knowledge throughout our time working together. We all were consistent in meeting up and organising zoom calls to speak about the project, and discuss the ideas we had and how we wanted the project to turn out. Im glad I chose topic 2 as my final projects theme as i didnt know much about indentured labour and the Kala Pani, but now I feel I am knowledgable on the topic and I feel as if I got the most out of the module.

Lilac:

I found the topic of indentured labour very interesting, as it is rarely taught in schools. It was very interesting to approach it from a member of the Indo-Caribbean diaspora in Canada (Ramabai Espinet). I really enjoyed the concept of storymaps, I enjoyed using it and thought the way it is able to represent a journey through space is great, particularly for the topic of our group. Finally, one of the highlights of this module was being able to work with students from Trinidad. Even though just online, we were able to collaborate efficiently and bring all our thoughts and ideas together to research and present a topic we were all interested in.

Georgia:

I originally chose to do this module because it was an aspect of history that I knew very little about, as histories of immigration not related to Ireland are not really taught in Irish schools. I found the idea of the Kala Pani and indentured labour the most compelling of all the topics we studied as part of this module, because of how similar but different it is to Irish stories of emigration and indentured labour. 

I loved the chance to focus on The Swinging Bridge as it acted as a window into a new viewpoint of history (the focus on women and their journeys of indentureship) and its ripple effect on the modern-day (Mona and her family, living in the 2000s). The depiction of the Kala Pani in The Swinging Bridge fascinated me, partly because of the reasons I have described above, but also because it reminded me a lot of my own family and their histories. Being Irish, emigration is a huge part of our culture, to the point that the Irish can claim a diaspora community in almost every country, and the majority of the stories I would have been told by my parents and grandparents as a child involved migration on some level. I was also fascinated by the Kala Pani because it is, at its core, a story that is present throughout history. Finding out the literal meaning of the term reminded me of a song that children learn in Irish schools, Trasna na dTonnta (meaning 'across the waves'). Originally a song about returning home after a long voyage, it eventually came to symbolise everything that Irish emigrants would be leaving behind, as they, like many indentured labourers who undertook the Kala Pani, would be leaving everything they had known before, and, which they would likely never return to.

I also loved doing this project because I got the chance to meet and work with really amazing people, who all had such great ideas and perspectives for the project. Everyone was so lovely and fantastic to work with, and I'm so happy I got the chance to meet everyone.

Viktoria:

Each final reflection reveals the unique ways in which the project impacted us. In the creation of both the story-map and blog discussing the topic, I faced technological issues with my laptop alongside a bit of difficulty navigating the story map website. At one point, the file was corrupted and could not be viewed. Yet, these proved to be minor issues in the fulfillment of my portion of the project. I enjoyed my time working with this group, as all members contributed equally to creation of the assignment despite the time differences and the load of coursework assignments. 

Personally, extensive research on Indentured Labourers has furthered my understanding of the systems's true nature. Though, the ordeal is taught within Trinidadian classrooms, crucial details are often erased in its recounting, which assign indentured labourers passive and willing roles. Knowledge of the deceptive practices and restrictive regulations that governed the lives of these immigrants have fostered a sense of admiration for their endurance. So then, I believe a greater emphasis should be placed on the stories of these labourers as well as its effects on today's East Indian diaspora in order to properly remember and honour those that took such a perilous journey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd April

This week we all met up on Zoom to check in on eachothers progress in completing our parts in the group project. Everyone is working together efficently and were all putting in an equal amount of effort. We all are equally interested in the topic that we chose, and we are enjoying learning new things and expanidng our knowledge on the topic. The bones of the blog was made today and is working after having some technical issues last week. We created a google doc to keep progress on whos working on what. We have split the work up evenly throughout the five of us to complete an adequate story map and blog that expands on the Kala Pani and the Swinging Bridge. When researching the two Canadian locations mentioned in The Swinging Bridge (Montreal and Toronto), it was hard to find information on the Indo-Caribbean diaspora, particularly related to Ramabai Espinet.  We have all decided to call again next week to check up on eachothers progress. Its quite challenging to find a day that suits

Kala Pani

What is Kala Pani ? ''काला पानी'' ( Kala pani ) translates literally as 'black water'. A hindi phrase, it refers to the taboo practice of crossing the seas and leaving India, prohibited in the Manusmriti (The Laws of Manu), a prominent legal, religious and moral Hindu text. Kala Pani was specifically banned as it was 'associated with contamination and cultural defilement' [Mehta], usually meaning a breakdown in the caste system present in Indian society throughout history.  Kala Pani and Transoceanic crossings Today, the term Kala Pani is used to refer specifically to the crossings made by indentured labourers originating in India, with many ending up in the Carribean. As described in Ramabai Espinet's  The Swinging Bridge , those considered as occupying a lower rung in the caste (in this example, widows, or  rands ) were often the people who undertook the Kala Pani and became indentured labourers. As a result, there are many communities of descendan